Have some fun in the kitchen with our tiramisu recipe using Urban Brew coffee pods!
Have you jumped on the baking trend since being stuck at home during iso? Chances are you have, and I bet by now your cooking skills have developed so much that you could go head on with Gordon Ramsey!
Something else that has increased during our time in iso is our coffee consumption. Why? I’d say because coffee gives you that warm feeling that you get when you hug your loved ones, which we have all been lacking lately. Or maybe we’re all just coffee feinds, and nothing wrong with that.
We’ve got a delicious recipe that will combine your new culinary skills with your love of coffee, and that recipe is none other than Tiramisu. Grab your partner, kids or housemates and have some fun in the kitchen making some of these Tiramisu cups using your Urban Brew coffee pods.
This recipe makes three serves, so increase or decrease ingredients as needed.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup + 2tbsp mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet Di Leo Savoiardi Sponge Fingers
- 2 short shots (80ml) of your favourite Urban Brew pod (cold)
- 2tbsp + 2tsp Kahlua (scroll down to make your own)
- Unsweetened cocoa for dusting
- Fill bottom of a double boiler with water and bring to the boil
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a metal bowl on top of the double, reduce heat to low and stir constantly with a whisk for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat, continue whipping until thick and lemon coloured and set aside to cool briefly
- Add mascarpone to yolk mix and whisk until well combined
- In a separate bowl, use an electric beater to whip cream until stiff peaks form
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone/yolk mixture and set aside
- Mix extracted Urban Brew pods with Kahlua
- Break up sponge fingers and dip into the coffee mixture without completely soaking them
- Add a layer of sponge fingers to the bottom of three glass dessert bowls
- Spread half the mascarpone mixture across all three dessert bowls
- Repeat process with the remaining sponge fingers and mascarpone
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight is best
- Dust with cocoa and enjoy!
If you want to take it to the next level and make your own Kahlua using our coffee pods, read on! Thanks to our loyal customer Randall B for sharing his recipe with us!
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 250ml vodka
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 short shots of your favourite Urban Brew pod (#12 is recommended)
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan, simmering on low heat and stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved
- Transfer the sugar water along with the other ingredients into a glass bottle - a used wine or alcohol bottom with a lid is best
- Shake and store in the fridge
I hope you love this recipe and have some fun creating and eating these! If you make it, be sure to let us know what you think and send through some photos of the final product : )
Toby Strong (aka The Podfather)
Founder & Customer Happiness Specialist